“We are what we eat”… GMO… Genetically modified organism… Terms also used are; GM foods, biotech foods, frankenfood or genetically engineered organism (GEO)
What does this mean in simple terms? A genetically modified organism (GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. By using different DNA from different subjects, depending on the initial purpose, they build a new strain of DNA… which is then introduced into the cells of the source of the organism they are intending to change, which then adopt the modified genes and become one (a new species or organism).In order to introduce a new gene and ensure that the new organism does not reject it there are several ways to do this… commonly involves the insertion or deletion of genes. When genes are inserted, they usually come from a different species, which is a form of horizontal gene transfer. In nature this can occur when a virus infects cells, the DNA penetrates the cell membrane for any reason.
To do this artificially may require attaching the genes to a virus or just physically inserting the extra DNA into the heart of the cell of the intended host with a very small syringe, or with so called gene gun.
OK!?… Now… it is a proven fact and most scientists as well as doctors, researchers etc… will confirm to you that
“We are what we eat”!
Let’s consider these statements for a minute… we, you, know that if you eat something that is good it will make you feel better!
example, a juicy fruit will provide you with natural sugars and vitamins that you need and depending on the situation you immediately feel the effects of it. Also, if you are lacking something, doctors will advise you to consume foods with a healthy composition of that (common example would be Iron and Meat or Spinach).
The same is also true the other way, we consume something bad… it will make you feel bad!
example, if you consume something with a virus or bacteria (common example would be Salmonella), these then invade your body and make you feel sick or ill etc… your body can fight off most of these bacteria and viruses but not all and not always… for example the H5N1 also called the bird flu.
So it is a known fact that a virus can penetrate our body to the degree that it can change our cells and cell information and modify them for the better or worse, thus the statement “we are what we eat”.
Now go back to the first paragraph and read it again… or simply look up GMO in Wikipedia, note that in Wikipedia often complex words are used. For the purpose of this example in Wikipedia the following sentence is used “In nature this can occur when exogenous DNA penetrates the cell membrane for any reason.”… notice the word “exogenous DNA”… when you clarify that (as it’s not underlined) it means: “The introduction of exogenous DNA into a cell is called transfection. This can take place naturally, as occurs when a virus infects cells, or artificially.” and just the word exogenous comes from the Greek words “exo” and “gignomi”, meaning “outside” and “to come to be”, referring to an action or object coming from outside a system. (this is all from Wikipedia)
One more time, as you are what you eat, you should really take the time and read a bit about what exactly it is that they combine when they make GMO and GM foods… you’ll be pleased to find that as a vegan you may actually be eating “fish” and washing your food in order to clean off the pesticides is pointless, as they are part of the food you eat anyway…
What can you do?!
- Try to avoid GM Food, shop local with a Farmer if possible and you may just want to check how he treats his crop or where he gets his animals from and what he feeds them :), get ORGANIC food, there is lot’s out there and tastes yummy!
- Get involved in petitions or groups working on stopping and exposing GM Foods… there are lots out there!
- Let others know! Share… tell them what you know! less is already that
Some Links & Videos on this:
- What Wikipedia says GMO and what Wikipedia says about GMO food - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMO_food
- Documentary / Info – By Media Roots “What is Genetically Modified Food?” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAP6ZtfP9ZQ
- News / Info – by Infowars on “Food – The Ultimate Secret Exposed full version” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMwXlikoFrM
- News / Info – by NaturalNews.com – How GMO foods alter organ function and pose a very real health threat to humans - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IJikX1144
- Viewpoint / Info – by Vandana Shiva – The Future of Food: Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi1FTCzDSck
- Viewpoint / Info – by Vandana Shiva – The Future of Food: Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlJqwft9I8
- Viewpoint / Info – by Vandana Shiva – The Future of Food: Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQDqEUd53YQ